The HYS Travel Program is for those 3rd graders who opt to play travel, and 4th grade and up. Teams play in the BAYS (Boston Area Youth Soccer) league. Age and not grade enrollment determine eligibility.
Eligibility for players in our travel program is determined on a calendar year that runs from August 1 to the next July 31. Note: This is a national guideline set by the United States Youth Soccer Association to which our state organization (MYSA) belongs. Players are always allowed to play Up to be with their school grade but may need an age waiver or may not be allowed to play Down with their school grade.
Teams are made up of players of roughly equal skill. Teams are placed in the BAYS league based on the skill level of that team. The goal is to place teams in a division such that they achieve a .500 record. Age group coordinators rely on player evaluations completed by the coaches and any independent evaluations to aid in team creation. With these evaluations, teams are created by the age group coordinators and coaches. It is important to note that players of all skill levels can benefit greatly in this program by being paired with other players of roughly the same ability level. The only requirement is a desire to play and have fun.
Travel games are played once a week on Saturdays. Each team will play 5 home games and 5 away games. In most cases, the travel time to games does not exceed 45 minutes. All Travel Teams have one Team practice and one Age Group Practice run by the New England Revs Academy. More information on this second practice can be found here.
NEW: ACADEMY TEAM OPTION FOR U-11/U-12 and U-13/U-14
PARENT INFORMATION MEETING: THRUSDAY APRIL 25, 7:30 Hopkins Cafeteria. Come and learn more about the Academy Program and speak to the Academy Coaches.
TRYOUTS FOR BOYS AND GIRLS ACADEMY TEAM FALL 2013: For U 11/12 Thursday May 2 4:30-6 Fruit St Turf. For U 13/14 Friday May 3 Time and Location TBD and both age groups Sunday May 5, time and location TBD.
One combined team for boys and one combined team for girls at each level. This Academy Team is intended for those players who want to expand their soccer experience.
- The teams will be coached by the professional Revolution Academy staff.
- Participation requires a Fall and Spring season commitment.
- Teams will be selected by tryouts run by the Revolution Academy Staff.
- Players will be expected to attend age group Revs practice and 2 team practice, all run by the Revolution Academy Coaches.
- Teams will play their games in BAYS, with potential opportunities to have “playdates” against Revs Academy Teams from other local towns such as Sudbury, Lexington, Wellesley, etc.
- Cost is $900 annnually, plus cost of uniforms.
All Travel players must wear orange and black HYS uniforms. Uniforms for the u-9 and u-10 age groups are ordered during registration. All others can be purchased via the HYS Online Store.
If you have any questions about the Travel Program, please contact either the Boys Travel Director or the Girls Travel Director as appropriate.
* HYS continues to offer programs for those that wish to continue playing after the Hopkinton School soccer programs begin. During the 8th grade (i.e. U14 age group), HYS offers both a fall and spring 11v11 travel program. The relationship between these programs in the fall is described on the Middle School Soccer page.
Will Hopkinton be conducting evaluations/tryouts to form Spring and Fall travel teams?
In addition to feedback from the coaches, assistant coaches, and age group coordinators involved in each age group, HYS will conduct evaluations each Fall for the HYS travel teams. We will communicate the schedule and process as soon as it becomes available.